Sunday, March 7, 2010

Relativism and Art

If anyone really knows me then you know that I do NOT prescribe to the notion of relativism. In fact, I consider it a tool of the weak willed... However, as it pertains to photography I completely agree with its definition: any theory holding that criteria of judgment are relative, varying with individuals and their environments.

The word Photography literally means Painting with Light... What one chooses to paint, whether with light or some other medium, is their own choice. How an individual decides what is pleasing to them is completely up to them. Is there absolute truth? Yes, but not in art. For example: I am not a fan of Picasso but does that make him a poor artist... I say yes but so many more treat him as a master. Who is right? Well, I say both. Art is defined as: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

Why do you take the photographs you take? Why do you spend so much time creating images? For each individual it is different...it is all relative. I am a fan of landscape and nature photography which shows a created world as it is for just a fraction of a second; never to be the same again. I take portraits because for just a moment you get a glimpse at a unique individual who will never be the same as they are in that moment. Again I ask; why do you do what you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment