Saturday, November 27, 2010

Book Review: "Captured by the Light" by David Ziser

"Captured by the Light" by David Ziser is a book that I had looked at on Amazon.com for a good bit of time.  I was just not sure it was a book for me.  After hearing all the buzz on the Internet I decided to give it a try and see what all the hype was about. 
"Captured by the Light" details Wedding photography but it can be used to improve any on location portraits.  Its primary focus is the use of light (artificial and natural) to ensure beautiful portraits of the bride, groom, and guests.  I mentioned previously that I once referred to my self as a natural light shooter and the reason?  It was my lack of ability with artificial light.  I have since become a light shooter, no longer relying just on natural light although it will always be an option.  If you are new to artificial light shooting or are thinking of getting into wedding photography this is a must have book.  I read it from cover to cover and have since gone back to look up specific topics.  I would list the pros and cons on this book like any other review but I find that there are no cons save one.  What is the con?  He does not detail a wedding shoot from start to finish.  Granted this book is about becoming a good wedding photographer not managing the photo shoots.  If you do a search on the Internet for David Ziser you will find a tremendous amount of information (including how to manage photo shoots).  You can check out his blog at www.digitalprotalk.com.  He updates it almost daily and often has instructional videos as well. 

Since I have been a photographer there have been two books that have had a major influence.  The first is John Shaw's "Nature Photography" and secondly, this book. 

Simply put....  This book is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Jason,
    Thank you for sharing the book review.
    Is there a particular chapter that helped you the most?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the very first chapter (Secrets of the Masters-Part 1 and 2). It dealt with the differnt types of portrait lighting and about where to put the light source (natural or artifical) on the face of the subject to get the desired light. Very cool and much of this was taken from painting masters.

    ReplyDelete