Thursday, November 11, 2010

Book Review: "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson

 "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson
Pros
  • Fantastic Art Work by Bryan Peterson
  • Good explanation of depth of field and shutter speed
  • If you have a good understanding of exposure it will build upon what you already know.

Cons
  • It reads a bit like a scientific technical manual even though it wants you to believe it is for the lay person.  It attempts to explain exposure in the most difficult of ways rather than remaining simple and then moving into the more challenging aspects.  I have been in photographer for a long time and have a good grasp on exposure...  that is the only reason I was able to make it through what I did. 
  • It is the 5th edition (I also have the 3rd edition) and you could tell where he just changed up a few words to try and make it a bit more modern. 
Conclusions
Stay away from this book unless you are an experienced photographer with a good grasp on exposure.  If you are new it has the potential to send you in the wrong direction regarding exposure. 

If I knew then what I know now....  I would have still made the purchase because I already understand how exposure works and it gives me the ability to write this review.  Bryan Peterson is an astounding photographer but not a very good author.

1 comment:

  1. Jason,
    Sounds like Peterson is writing for actual photographers, not those point and shooters like me.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete