Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Painting with Light

The word photography means "Painting with Light".  Photography is not the technology that we use to photograph.  Photography is a form of art.  The camera, lenses, and lights that we use are tools like a brush is to a painter.  We must remember that each and every time we pick up the camera.  Sure, not every situation is an artistic one but if we think of every situation artistically our images will benefit greatly.  Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I truly hope it gets you to thinking.

Below is an example of what I mean.  This is a photo of my parents and their grandson (my boy).  If I had just taken a photo without considering the artistic side then I might have missed the vanishing lines of the background.  See how the bamboo fence trails from left to right.  As you look at either edge of the photograph your eyes are drawn from left to right or right to left because you want to see where the lines lead.  The grandmother and grandfather are in the left and right third of the photograph and the boy's head is in the top third.  This keeps your eyes moving around the main subjects. 

This is one of my favorite photographs and it is just a family "snap shot".  I didn't spend time posing them I just told them where to stand and the rest was done in camera.  Remember, art is everywhere.

Joyce, Zackeal, and George Eldridge (Grandma, Grandson, Grandpa)


1 comment:

  1. Jason:
    Yes, art is EVERYWHERE! It is in the eyes of the subjects, the bamboo fence lines, and the photographer/painter.

    Merry Christmas, by the way!

    ReplyDelete