Saturday, April 3, 2010

Which magazine?

I subscribe to several photographic magazines because they are the best way to stay current in the field of photography (other than the internet but that is a topic for another day). Magazines show you images taken by top professionals all the way down to the newest enthusiast. They provide tips and technique as well as display the latest in popular trends. The question is…which one do I choose? Below is a quick review of each magazine that I subscribe too. I will also give my take on the audience the magazine seems to be written for.


Popular Photography
Popular Photography has been around for a good bit of time. The magazine is typically geared to the generalist or enthusiast photographer. They cover a wide range of topics and do not spend much time on select topics. If you are new into photography this is a great place to start. They will show just enough of each topic so it gives you some options.

Number of issues per year: 12

Rating: 3 out of 5.

Link: http://www.popphoto.com/


Outdoor Photography
The title along should tell you what the main topic of this magazine revolves around. The majority of subjects deal with travel and landscape photography but on occasion they will through some articles on street photography. Each year they do a landscape special and I eagerly await that every year.

Number of issues per year: 11

Rating: 4 out of 5.

Link: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/


American Photo
American Photo deals mostly with the trendy fashion aspect of photography along with new styles for abstract or situational photography. There are times when I have difficulty making it through some of the articles…. To be honest, the only reason I get this publication is because I had a special opportunity to purchase a year’s subscription for $1.00

Number of issues per year: 6

Rating: 2 out of 5

Link: http://archive.popphoto.com/americanphoto/


Shutterbug
Shutterbug is one of my favorite magazines. Many years ago it was so focused on gear and contained mostly retail advertisements. Seldom did it have more than one or two articles on photography itself. Well, times have changed and they now have more articles than advertisements. It could be viewed as a generalist magazine but they do tend to focus more on gear than the other publications. It is good to stay true to your roots at times. Nevertheless, this magazine is one I wait for each month.

Number of issues per year: 12

Rating: 4 out of 5

Link: http://www.shutterbug.com/


Nature Photographer
Nature Photographer is very specific regarding its topics. The name suggests that it has to do with nature photography and that holds very true. What sets this publication apart is that most of the articles are written by the field contributors and not just staff writers. The benefit is that each issue contains many different images and points of view on the specific season being covered. This magazine is also focused on the preservation of nature and often displays articles on endangered species and/or endangered habitats. If you are a photographer and a naturealist you will like this publication. The only downside is that they print just 3 issues per year (Spring, Summer, Fall/Winter).

Number of issues per year: 3

Rating: 4 out of 5

Link: http://www.naturephotographermag.com/

2 comments:

  1. Jason, guess I might be doing a similar story on my blog? Only thing is, I don't subscribe to many art magazines because the "instruction" in them seem poor. Perhaps I will do a bent on what can be found on the Internet instead. What I do know is this: the next abstract "American Photo" magazine you wish to recycle, can I have it,please!??? ;) Ah...and I do have one for you to borrow, now I think of it!
    Angeline Marie of
    www.angelinemarie.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started compiling a list of Internet resources and will one day soon have a similar post.

    ReplyDelete