Saturday, July 28, 2012

Finding your Mojo

I just read a great guest post on Rick Sammon's Blog.  You can find the full article here:  http://www.ricksammon.info/2012/07/todays-guest-blogger-kevin-pepper.html

This is where I have found myself on occasion (still do at times).  I would guess if you are a new photographer this is where you are there right now.  Insecure with your work.  Do you take an image and then let it set on your computer because it doesn't live up to the level of a Rick Sammon or a Joe McNally?  (if you don't know who they are look them up)  Here is the deal...  Not everyone is a Rick Sammon or a Joe McNally...  at least not yet.  In order to get better you have to not only take photos but receive honest feedback from your friends, family, and other photographers.  Seek out unbiased professional feedback. 

Should you copy everything you see?  No, but knowing how it was done can certainly help you in your own photography. 

The point is we should not let our own insecurities stop us from picking up the camera.  You're not a Joe McNally but if you leave your camera in the bag you never will be.

2 comments:

  1. I may not be Georgia O'Keefe or Frida Khalo, but I carry my sketchbook with me EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    A recommended way for artist's to learn how to improve painting and drawing skills is to copy the masters. Actually sit in front of a famous piece of art and copy it. If not able to paint it because of museum rules, then sketch out parts of the painting with a pencil.

    This post reminds me of that learning technique. Copy the ideas of the photographic masters, but MAKE YOUR OWN WORK. Take out your camera and/or sketchbook and use them.

    Learn by doing. So go out and shoot - while I draw!

    ReplyDelete