Friday, June 24, 2011

And I Almost Missed it....

The issues all started the night before my first photo trip into the Smoky Mountains.  The weather forcast changed from they typical summer forcast (30% chance of afternoon showers) to 60% chance until 9am.  I thought to myself that it would make sunrise photos impossible.  Taking my own advice (as seen in previous posts) I decided to go.  The alarm went off just before 4am.  After tripping over everything in the house just trying to be quite I made it out of the house.  About half way there I realized that I had forgotten my food and water.  Oh, and it was raining the whole way.  I stopped off at Wal-Mart and bought more food and water.  On the way out of the store the rain increased and I thought well, I could concentrate on mountain streams today.  Then, I remembered that in my attempts to be quiet getting out of the house I left my polarizing filter.  This filter cuts down the glare on rocks and vegitation and is one of the few that cannot be duplicated in Photoshop.  It is very important to have this especially when it has just been raining.  Ugg...  I should go home and try again another day I thought.  But, I wrote the previous posts about getting out the door for a reason so on I traveled.  I made it to the top of the mountains just before sunrise and....  It was completely socked in...  Yep, couldn't see 25 feet in front of the truck.  I kicked back turned my iPhone (ipod) on and slept.  When I was awoken by 60+ mile an hour winds I figured it was time to go home.  I was grumpy.

On the way down though my grumpiness went away FAST.  Just a little below Clingmans Dome the visibility opened up and I got to witness mountains in a storm.  These photos are not your typical majestic mountains but the drama that is produced was well worth my efforts.  There will be more days in the Smoky Mountains next week and with luck they will be just as "bad" as this one.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooooooo what a photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SOOOO worth it!!!!!!!
    Looking forward to more photos!

    ReplyDelete