Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Don't Forget the Camera!!!

It always seems to happen this way.  I get bummed because I am not feeling any inspiration.  Then, it dawns on me that it is so difficult to take a photograph without a camera.  Today my wife and I had to run to Key Largo and I decided to throw the camera in the car just in case.  While at one of the locations I saw this simple piece of rope wrapped around a cleat.  I thought it had great black and white potential.  I snapped just a few shots and came out with some good images.  This one is my favorite for a few reasons.  The contrasting light and grungy look really played to the black and white idea.  The main focus of the image (cleat and wrapped rope) are in the first nodal point of the rule of thirds.  The rope guard fell in the 3rd nodal point for the rule.  One of the coolest aspects I didn't notice until I got to processing was the triangles.  Look how many there are in this photo!  I would like to say that is was all part of my photographic vision but alas it was a great bonus.  At the time of capture all I really noticed was the deep black in the upper right and the white in the upper left.  All and all this image took me about 30 seconds to capture!  If I had left my camera at home it would have been another missed opportunity.  Moral of the story?  You can't get any better if you don't practice.  A camera left at home is a photograph un-taken.  Thanks for reading!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yep. Is why I always have my sketchbook with me: ya never know.

    I spent a few minutes sketching jewelry and the shadows while waiting for watch batteries yesterday. Who'd've thunk it?

    Amazing photo. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete