Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Four Year Old Camera and a Kit Lens

Each year the camera manufactures come out with brand new products that are marketed to those of us who can't resist the urge to upgrade.  The discussion of equipment is a huge part of many photographic circles.  Frankly, I love the gear myself.  I have not always been able to upgrade when I would like to due to the enormous costs involved.  Typically, I like to make a new purchase with every other generation.  Right now, Nikon and Canon fans are all waiting to see what comes out of Photokina (major photography gear show).  I hope to make a new camera purchase within the next year but I will wait and see what the future holds.  So, why is the blog post titled "A Four Year Old Camera and a Kit Lens"?  Because photography is not (nor should it be) all about the gear.  It is about the creation of images based on our vision.  The equipment is simply a tool.


When I set out this past Thursday night I was trying to decide what equipment to take and I knew that I would be doing a good bit of walking in the middle of down town Miami.  I decided to take my cheapest two lenses to help cut down on the weight.  One is a Nikkor 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens and the other is a Nikkor 70-300mm f3.5-5.6.  The camera, which is the only digital that I own, is a Nikon D200 and is about four years old (you can get one of these on ebay for about $500.00).  Now, I want you to take a good look at these photographs and I want you to tell me where it shows that these were taken with a four year old camera and a kit lens.  You can't and that's my point.  It has very little to do with the equipment and a lot to do with the photographer.

Still, I am eagerly awaiting Nikon's next full frame camera for an upgrade but until then I think what I have will do just fine. 

Thanks everyone for tuning into my blog and, if you haven't already, make sure you "Like" the Eldridge Studios' Facebook Fan Page.  Until next time keep finding new ways to capture life through photography.

2 comments:

  1. I fall clearly into the new generation-new camera category. Every two years, I seem to buy the latest fad with devices and capabilities I could not understand with a scientist at my side. Nevertheless, I keep using my eight-year old Canon that takes pictures as sharply as an amateur can snap. I recently purchased a new Kodak model, but I only use it when my six-year old granddaughter is with me to point out the complexities.

    There is more to photography than the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of the camera as a paintbrush. If it is placed in the hands of a master you get astounding results. If you place the same brush in the hands of a novice... well, in my case you would come out with poorly painted stick figures. The equipment is the tool used to create art and is solely dependant on the artist. Sure, equipment can help you display your vision but that vision must be there to begin with.

    ReplyDelete