Monday, September 12, 2011

HDR is not Just for Color

HDR photography has been around for some time now. If you are a photographer chances are you fall in one of three places.

1. You hate it in all of its forms

2. You are okay with the HDR that is close to “natural” looking (this is where I fall)

3. You love it in all of its forms

This is not an HDR hate/like post and you can check out a detailed post I did on HDR here. This is about another aspect you may not have thought about. Sometimes the issues I have with HDR is the amount of color saturation you get when you merge all the images. I generally pull the saturation and vibrancy back in my HDR images to “tone it down”. This time around however I took it all the way down. HDR is not just for color images. Pulling out the dynamic range for images and then converting them to black and white can have a very dramatic effect, especially on any large “puffy” clouds. The next time you are processing some HDR images consider them for black and white just to see what you can come up with.


No comments:

Post a Comment